Pages

Friday, March 20, 2015

I'm stressed...I'm anxious...and I CAN'T SLEEP!

Welcome back!  Remember that lavender I talked about in blog post number one?  The lavender that sat on my bathroom counter for ages before I built up the courage to use it?  Well I'm prepared to share with you how using Essential Oils (for myself) all began!

One night I decided I was going to give this lavender stuff a try, what could it hurt right?  So I put several drops in my bath water (I'm an avid bath taker).  HOLY. MOLY.  I sank down into the bath water and breathed in the amazing lavender scent.  I did this every night for a week and I'll tell you this:  The one night I DIDN'T use lavender in my bath, I just couldn't relax.  I find that the lavender helps to calm the stress of the day and really promotes relaxation.  I later learned that my lavender would go further and work even better if I put a few drops into a handful of Epsom salt THEN add to my bath.  Ever heard the expression "oil and water don't mix"?  Well, its true - the oil would just kind of sit on the top of the water.  The Epsom salt absorbs the EO and then dissolves in the water... therefore no oils floating on the top!




I suffer from major anxiety and stress, because of this I have a terrible time falling asleep.  As soon as my head hits the pillow it's like I'm suddenly wide awake and can't turn my mind off!  I stare at the clock and stress over another lost hour of sleep.  I stress about work, home, my child, my pets... probably normal stuff, but I tend to over-think things which results in over-stressing as well.  So now I'm relaxed... but wide awake.  Which sucks.




I did some research and came across a few different oils that aid in stress relief.  I immediately ordered Cinnamon Bark EO and Ginger EO as suggested - as soon as they arrived I diffused them at bedtime.  *Note* Ginger EO is not the best smelling oil in my opinion... so I use 2-3 drops Cinnamon oil and 1-2 drops of Ginger.  I'm not joking you when I say that this worked IMMEDIATELY!  The trick is to breathe in deep and exhale... I do this a few times and before you know it I'm fast asleep - honestly! And wouldn't you know,  the nights I was too lazy to put my oil mixture together I can't shut my brain off.  This combination immediately relieves stress and I force myself to think about breathing and the amazing smells instead of the work or whatever else is bothering me. I've found that I wake less often throughout the night and feel well rested the following morning!



I also learned that Cedarwood EO promotes sleep - its been ordered and as soon as I give it a try I will post an update! I plan to do a sleep test and document the following:

- nights with/without Lavender bath
- nights with/without Cinnamon/Ginger
- nights with/without Cedarwood

I'll use the sleep-tracker app (that my friend Chelsea introduced me to) to determine how quickly I fell asleep and how often I wake through the night.  I can't wait to give this a try and share the results with you!  Stay tuned!


Have trouble winding down for the day?  Have trouble falling asleep because your mind wont shut off? Follow the link below to order from Young Living. If you've thought about giving Essential Oils a try, the Premium Started Kit is the best bang for your buck! By becoming a wholesaler through Young Living you get discounted products and there are NO monthly/annual purchase requirements. Please let me know what questions you have!! REFERENCE MEMBER & SPONSOR ID: 2260821
https://www.youngliving.com/signup/?isoCountryCode=US&isoLanguageCode=en&type=DISTRIBUTOR




No comments:

Post a Comment